Housing Law

Our Tenant Rights Legal Services

We provide information, advice and representation to low income tenants in Brant, Haldimand and Norfolk. If you are having a problem with your rental unit or your landlord, we can explain your rights and obligations under the law. We can advise you how to take steps to resolve the issue. In some cases, we will represent you at the Landlord & Tenant Board.

We can help with:

  • Most residential landlord and tenant disputes
  • Subsidized housing problems
  • Co-op tenants
  • Problems in rooming houses

What to do if you have a problem as a tenant

If you have a question about your tenancy or a problem with your landlord, please contact us. We can provide advice and assistance at any point in the process.

Residential tenants

Most tenants are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act and the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) deals with these tenancies. The LTB is an administrative tribunal that is less formal than a court. If a matter goes to the LTB, the parties can try to settle the case through mediation. If necessary, the matter will go to a hearing at which evidence is provided to an adjudicator who will listen to both sides and make a decision.

Landlords cannot take action against you unless you are given notice that tells you what the problem is and what the landlord is going to do. Often you can do something to stop any further action. Call us immediately for information and advice if you get any paperwork from your landlord.

We provide assistance before LTB hearings but we also provide advice and information on the day of the hearing as “duty counsel”.

Social housing

If you are in social housing any rent subsidy disputes or problems should be resolved directly with your landlord. The process is called an “internal review”. If you have a problem with paying your subsidized rent you should contact us immediately for advice.


If you need to get repairs done, first ask the landlord to fix the problem. If nothing is done, write a letter and ask the landlord to do the repair by a certain date. Keep a copy of the letter. If the repairs are still not done contact us for help.

The Steps to Justice website offers step-by-step information about housing and other common legal problems.