Criminal Law

If you require assistance with a criminal law matter and you do not have a current criminal legal aid certificate, Legal Aid Ontario (“LAO”) may be able to help you.

LAO has a website at that provides information on their  services.  You can also contact LAO’s Client Service Centre toll free at: 1-800-668-8258 and press 0.  No coins are required from a payphone and LAO accepts collect calls. This service is offered in 120 languages.

Links to specific LAO criminal law services are below:

Please note that you must also be financially eligible to qualify for legal aid services.

Details on Local Services

LAO also provides advice through Criminal Law Information Centres at the following locations:


  • 44 Queen Street, Brantford, Ontario
  • Mondays from 1:30 p.m. to 4:00p.m  (The service is on a first come, first serve basis)  This service is a joint CLIC and FLIC Service


  • G.R.E.A.T.  Building – Ohsweken – First Tuesday of each month from 9:00 to 1:00 p.m.  joint CLIC and FLIC Service.


  •  50 Frederick Hobson VC Drive Simcoe,  Ontario
  • Friday Mornings on an irregular basis; once per month
  • The service is on a first come, first serve basis


  •  55 Munsee St. North Cayuga, Ontario
  •  Friday afternoon from 1:30 until 3:30 p.m. [ joint FLIC/CLIC]
  •  The service is on a first come, first serve basis

The Law Society Referral Service 

Anyone looking for legal advice in a specific area of law may contact the Law Society Referral Service.  This is a free online service that can connect you with a lawyer or paralegal that can assist in a specific area of law.  Visit  If you do not have access to the internet, you may contact the Law Society Referral Service Crisis Line at 1-855-947-5255. This service will provide the name and phone number of a legal professional who may be able to deal with your issue and that will provide up to 30 minutes of free consultation.  This service can be found online at LSRS.

You can obtain further general legal information about criminal law in Ontario by accessing the Your Legal Rights website.